Sunday, January 16, 2011

First for everything

Learning something new is another resolution I have penned down for year 2011. Recently a friend delivered a baby girl and I wanted to make something handmade for the little one. I already had a baby quilt made but decided to try a pattern I downloaded from the net a long while back but never got the change (or gut) to try. 
I am pretty sure many of you would recognise the dress pattern. It is available for free from Made by Rae.  

To my delight, the pattern was very simple and easy to whip, I finished the dress in couple of hours and decided to add a matching ball with a little bell in it for good measure *grin*
I used Moda fabrics for both the dress and the ball and used a flannel for the bodice lining. I made  the bodice piping and bias trim for the dress from the burgundy polka dot Moda fabric. 

My only concern while making the dress was the raw edges on the bodice where you attach the piping and the skirt. I read and reread the instruction, but the issue was not addressed. So, I made my own modification. I sew cotton twill tape to hide the raw edges (Japanese style sewing - sorry no pic) 

The gifts have been presented. I'll update once I get a picture of Puteri Merissa in the itty bitty dress from her mommy. 
Pin It

18 comments:

ween said...

lovely dress and ball, perfect for a cute baby girl :)

nadia said...

hi sue ! well yeah i stumbled upon that part too. couldn't quite figure out what it meant. anyway your dress turned out really nice and lovely! im sure it will be cute on the baby too :)

Fieda said...

...nice dress....fabrik pun nice juga...:)

http://thankfullga447 said...

what a great idea, the dress is lovely and you only did it in a few hours. You are very very talented.

MyBotanG said...

Ween & Mama Nuriel - thank you.. the fabric turned out so well..

Nadia @ color me pretty - What did you do to the raw edges then..? I suppose next time I would zig zag the whole thing before sewing.. or should I add a serger to my 2011 wish list.. heheheh

ga447 - thank you for dropping by, this was my first ever wearables, the pattern is very tiny and easy, not many pieces to work with and minus pockets or zipper/buttons attachment making it a super quick project..

Rozi Rahman said...

Congratulations!!!! The first baby clothing item of many I foresee for you :) It wasn’t so hard after all, isn’t it? :)
And yes, do add a serger to your wish list. It would just come in handy

NoEn said...

i like the ball (^_^)

Bea said...

Such a cute dress:). Congratulations! I shy away from sewing wearables because of not having a serger (just an excuse:P) & the worst fear of all...when the finished work is unwearable! But I made a promise to myself that I will learn to sew at least a tunic this year:]

Suhaila Tahir said...

cutenyer dress...bagus bagus bagus, pasni bole buat dress utk sofea lak.

Caca said...

cantik sangat.

MyBotanG said...

Rozi - it wasn't bad :) maybe I just never wanted to dip my hand into too many jars at one time.. will start browsing for a serger (looking for an excuse to shop actually.. heheheh)

Wanz - me too, it turned out so well I even surprised myself.. heheheh

Bea - I know exactly what you mean.. plus I never found any good reason to sew anything from scratch before.. Sofea only gets recycled and refashioned items.. kesian..

Su - thank you, Sofea do not need any new clothings, but after seeing the baby dress, she has made a list of items she needs... hehehe (selama ni mommy buat excuse x pandai jahit baju..)

Jess - thank you.. :)

Azaidris said...

Congratulations!!! hat a cute dress. I don't blame Sofea for feeling jealous of the little baby hehehe..

Hari ni baru dapat tgk ur post. Computer baru keluar ICU-recovery unit :P.

A serger may not be essential for sewing bags...but bila dah start sewing wearables nih..lebih mudah kalau ada. I dread having to go out & hntr kedai for serging..huhuhu..Definitely in my wish list ;)

MamaDaniel said...

tahniah cik sue.. (clapping nih...)
bravo bravo...
can't wait to see the second, third,fourth attempt.. :)

(bila la zila nak try the same thing nih..??)

MyBotanG said...

Naza - :D since dress tu dia x muat, ball baby tu dia kidnap.. heheheh
at least kat Msia byk tpt nak hantar jahit tepi kan.. sini mmg x penah jumpa servis cam tu..

Zila - heheh tima kaceh :D nnt if ada yg bersalin baby girl, buleh ler I buat lagi.. but honestly very easy, do give it a try.. plus 1 FQ dah cukup dah..

Zara said...

Aiyoh, so cute!

time to enjoy said...

sweet sngt. nak buat satu jugak la. sume nak buat. every day ada je nak buat. enjoying my life now

time to enjoy said...

macammana plak tak jahit tepi? ada any great idea to share? mak budak baru nak belajar.Terkial-kial lagi.hehehe...

MyBotanG said...

If you are in Malaysia, you can always take it to the shop utk jahit tepi.. or use a zigzag stitch (available on most sewing mechines)for jahit tepi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails